Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Dorothy Must Die Week of: 1/20/15

Prompt: Give a summary of what happened in your book so far.
Pages Read: 0-40

Dorothy Must Die probably sounds like a very intimidating title, and I would like to agree with that. It starts with an intelligent girl named Amy, with an insensitive mother. She lives in a trailer home with her mother, and their pet rat, Star. Amy does all of the work, cooks, cleans, everything. All of these things bother her of course, so it causes her to have a very sarcastic attitude.

One day, Amy goes to school and gets confronted by a pregnant girl named Maddison. She believes that Amy is trying to steal her boyfriend when they have their tutoring session. Maddison then punches her in the face, and Amy gets in trouble for fighting with someone pregnant. She gets suspended for 10 days. When she gets home, she finds her mother sitting on her couch, just sitting their staring at the wall in front of her. Since the two live in Kansas, there are multiple tornadoes. Well on that specific day, there is a tornado watch out. Amy leaves the trailer for one second, and her mother is gone. She left with her boyfriend to safety, and left her own daughter there. Of course, Amy is freaking out because she doesn't know what to do since the tornado is on it's way.

The next thing Amy sees, is the sky. Her trailer home was flying through the air, and landed in a very mysterious place. She meets this boy that helps her out of her trailer, and he gives her brief directions and then leaves her. That is when I stopped reading. As you can see, it's obvious how the story is very similar to the Wizard of Oz. I believe that there will be a very interesting twist when I continue reading. Nothing is the same, so I am really excited to see. I predict that Amy will go on an amazing but fearful adventure with her pet rat.

4 comments:

  1. You're summaries are very well written! "Dorothy Must Die" seems like an interesting book. When I read the title, I did think of the Wizard of Oz so that's cool. This book seems like a dark version of the classic Wizard of Oz. Enjoy the book! (ps your blog is so cute)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Dorothy's pet rat's name Toto? I am intrigued by what will happen next. Nice job building the suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rat's name is Star actually!

      Delete
  3. This is Ms. Miller from Idaho. This sounds like a very interesting book. I tend to enjoy stories that put a unique twist on familiar/classic stories. The only part that I don't like is the pet rat. I HATE mice and rats. I recently read another book with a pet rat (On the Road To Find Out) and I loved it, but I had to pretend the rat was another animal. :)

    ReplyDelete